May 2, 2022
Vegan SugarBee® Apple Cheddar Twists
Recipe created by Ashley Hankins of @eat_figs_not_pigs
Prep Time: 30 Minutes
Cook Time: 40 Minutes
- 2 SugarBee® apples, cored and finely diced
- ½ cup coconut sugar
- ¼ teaspoon salt
- ¼ teaspoon ground cinnamon
- All-purpose flour, for rolling out dough
- 2 sheets vegan-friendly puff pastry dough, thawed
- 1 cup vegan cheddar cheese shreds
- ½ cup melted vegan butter
- Flaky sea salt, optional
- Place the apples, sugar, salt, cinnamon, and 2 tablespoons of water in a small saucepan over medium-high heat, stirring to combine. Bring to boil, reduce heat to medium and continue to simmer, stirring every few minutes until the liquid thickens and the apples turn a dark, golden brown, 12 to 15 minutes. Remove from the heat and cool at room temperature for 10 minutes.
- Meanwhile preheat the oven to 400°F.
- On a lightly floured clean, dry surface, roll out both puff pastry sheets to ¼ of an inch thick. With a slotted spoon, evenly spread the apple mixture on one pastry sheet, making sure to leave about an inch of space around all four edges. Sprinkle on the cheese in an even layer, then drizzle on any of the liquid from the apple mix.
- Cover puff pastry with the second sheet and pinch the edges together to seal tightly.
- Using a rolling pin, gently roll the pastry out to 1/8 of an inch thick. Then press the apples and cheese into the pastry.
- Next, cut the pastry into 1-inch-thick strips using a sharp knife or pizza roller. Using your hands twist the strips carefully, then transfer them to a parchment paper lined baking sheet. Brush the twists with some melted butter and sprinkle with a pinch of flaky salt, if using.
- Bake until the bubbling and golden, 15 to 20 minutes. Cool 10 minutes before serving and enjoy!