May 12, 2022
SugarBee® Apple Mini Hand Pie Ice Cream Sandwiches
- 1 box of store-bought pie dough containing 2 sheets
- 2 tbsp. of salted butter
- 2 SugarBee® Apples finely chopped
- ½ c. brown sugar
- 1 lemon juiced
- 1 tsp. ground cinnamon
- ¼ tsp. ground cardamom
- ½ tsp. ground nutmeg
- ½ tsp. cornstarch
- 1 tbsp. water
- 1 egg beaten
- 1 tbsp. white sugar
- ½ tbsp. cinnamon
- Your choice of ice cream. In this recipe I used a salted caramel frozen custard!
- Allow your pie dough to come to room temperature for 15-20 minutes.
- Preheat your oven too 400°F and line a large baking sheet with parchment paper.
- Roll out your pie crusts just to flatten. Using a biscuit cutter, cut 16 rounds out of the two pie crust. Place half of them on your baking sheet
- In a saucepan, add the chopped SugarBee® apples, butter, lemon juice, brown sugar, cinnamon, cardamom, and nutmeg. Cook stirring frequently for 10-15 minutes, until the apples are soft. At this stage, mix your cornstarch and water in a small bowl and add to the cooked apples. Remove from heat, stir till thickened. Allow to cool for a few minutes.
- When your apple filling is slightly cooled and thickened, fill the center of each pie dough round, leaving room around the edge for sealing.
- Top each filled pie crust round with another crust, and using a fork, crimp the edges to seal in the filling.
- Brush the top of each hand pie with the egg wash.
- In a small bowl mix the white sugar and cinnamon. Liberally sprinkle the top of each hand pie with this mixture.
- Bake for 15 minutes until golden brown. Allow to cool slightly and then transfer to a cooling rack.
- When the pies are completely cool, add a scoop of your favorite ice cream to the bottom of one hand pie and then top with another hand pie. Twist to squish together and enjoy immediately.
Pro Tip: To make these ahead of time, follow the above direction, but after assembly, immediately place finished hand pie ice cream sandwiches in the freezer to be enjoyed later. These are best served right away.
Recipe created by: Valerie Musser of @valeriesofcoursecatering