March 10, 2022
Bulgogi-Inspired Tacos with SugarBee® Apple & Ginger Slaw
Created by: Ashley Hankins | @eat_figs_not_pigs
PREP TIME: 1 HOUR 10 MINUTES MINUTES
COOK TIME: 20 MINUTES
Bulgogi “Meat” & Marinade:
- 1 (16-ounce) block of extra firm tofu, drained, pressed for 30 minutes, and grated
- 1 SugarBee® Apple, grated
- ½ white onion, grated
- ¼ cup SugarBee® Apple Cider Blend, or another SugarBee® Apple
- 6 cloves garlic, minced
- 2 tablespoons low sodium soy sauce
- 1 tablespoon dark soy sauce or Maggi seasoning liquid
- 1 tablespoon coconut sugar
- 1 tablespoon toasted sesame oil
- 1 tablespoon rice vinegar
- ½ teaspoon fresh ground black pepper
- ¼ teaspoon cayenne pepper powder
SugarBee® Apple & Ginger Slaw:
- 3 SugarBee® Apples, julienned
- 2 tablespoon fresh lemon juice
- 1 cup green cabbage, finely chopped
- 1 cup red cabbage, finely chopped
- 2 carrots, peeled and julienned
- ¼ cup vegan mayonnaise
- ¼ cup rice vinegar
- 1 tablespoon minced ginger
- 1 teaspoon garlic powder
- ¼ – ¾ teaspoon vegan-friendly granulated white sugar to taste, optional
- 2 tablespoon neutral oil, such as vegetable or canola
- Warmed corn or flour tortillas
- Thinly sliced cucumber
- Fresh chopped cilantro
- Fresh lime wedges
- Place the grated tofu, apple, and onion in a large bowl and mix with the rest of the marinade ingredients, tossing well to thoroughly combine. Cover and place in the refrigerator to marinate for at least 1 hour, up to overnight.
- About 20 minutes before the bulgogi tofu ‘meat’ is done marinating, prepare the apple & ginger slaw. Place the julienned apples in a bowl and toss with the lemon juice – this will help them from oxidizing. Add the cabbage and carrots.
- In a separate bowl, whisk together the mayo, rice vinegar, ginger, and garlic powder. Toss with the slaw mixture, tossing to coat. Taste and adjust seasonings, adding ¼ – ½ teaspoon of sugar if necessary (I find the apples provide enough sweetness in the slaw, but if you like it sweeter, feel free to add some sugar). Set aside.
- For the tacos, heat the oil in a large skillet over medium high heat. Once the oil is hot, add the marinated tofu bulgogi ‘meat’ and place in an even layer. Cook, without touching, until slightly crisped on the bottom side, 4 to 7 minutes. Give it a good stir, reduce the heat to medium, and continue to cook in an even layer, stirring every so often until crisped around the edges, another 4 to 7 minutes.
- Meanwhile, warm your tortillas.
- To build your tacos, place a few slices of cucumber into your warmed tortilla, followed by a couple heaping tablespoons of the bulgogi ‘meat’. Spoon on some apple & ginger slaw, and garnish with fresh chopped cilantro and fresh lime. Serve with more apple & ginger slaw on the side and enjoy!