January 26, 2022
SugarBee® Apple Chick’n Curry
Created by: Ashley Hankins | @eat_figs_not_pigs
Prep Time: 15 minutes
Cook Time: 30 minutes
Curry Spice Blend:
- 1 tablespoon curry powder
- 1 teaspoon turmeric
- 1 teaspoon cumin
- ¼ teaspoon cayenne
- ½ teaspoon coriander (ground)
- 2 SugarBee® Apples peeled and cored roughly chopped
- 1 tablespoon oil
- 1 pound vegan chick’n pieces
- ¾ teaspoon salt, plus more to taste
- ½ teaspoon black pepper, plus more to taste
- 2 tablespoons vegan butter
- 1 white onion finely chopped
- 1 large red bell pepper finely chopped
- 1 green bell pepper finely chopped
- 1 large carrot peeled and diced
- 12 cloves fresh garlic minced
- 2 tablespoons fresh minced ginger
- Curry spice blend (recipe above)
- 2 cups vegetable broth
- 1 (13.5-ounce) can full fat coconut milk
- 1 (28-ounce) can fire roasted diced tomato with juices
- 2 bay leaves
- 2 cups frozen peas
- Fresh chopped cilantro, for serving
- Fresh lime wedges, for serving
- Cooked rice or noodles, for serving, optional
- For the spice blend, place the ingredients in a small bowl and whisk to combine. Set aside.
- Heat the oil in a large nonstick pot or Dutch oven over medium-high heat. Once the oil is hot, add the chick’n, season with the salt and pepper, and cook, stirring often, until heated through and crisp around the edges, 5 to 8 minutes. Using a slotted spoon, transfer the chick’n to a plate and set aside.
- In the same pot, add the vegan butter over medium heat. Once the butter is melted, add the onion, bell peppers, apples, carrots, garlic and ginger. Season with the curry spice blend and continue to cook, stirring often, until the onions are translucent, and the garlic is fragrant, 5 to 6 minutes.
- Pour in the broth, coconut milk, fire roasted tomatoes with their juices and the bay leaves. Increase the heat to high, stir gently to combine, and bring to a boil. Once the curry reaches a boil, reduce the heat to low, cover and simmer for 20 minutes.
- Remove the lid, add the peas and reserved chick’n pieces, and stir to combine once more. Taste and adjust seasonings if necessary. Cover and simmer for an additional 10 minutes.
- Serve with fresh cilantro and lime wedges as a stew, or alongside rice or noodles! Enjoy