November 5, 2021
Vegan SugarBee® Apple and Sausage Stuffing
Created by: Ashley Hankins | @eat_figs_not_pigs
Prep Time: 15 Minutes
Cook Time: 45 Minutes
- 1 (16-ounce) loaf of sourdough bread, preferable 3 or 4 days old, cut into 1-inch cubes
- 2 SugarBee® Apples, peeled, cored and chopped
- Juice of 1 lemon
- 3 tablespoons vegan butter
- 14 ounces vegan sausage
- 1 ½ cups chopped white onion (about 1 onion)
- 1 cup diced carrot (about 2 carrots)
- 1 cup diced celery, with leaves (about 2 stalks)
- 8 cloves fresh minced garlic
- 1 sprig fresh rosemary, minced
- 2 teaspoon fresh minced thyme
- 2 ½ cups vegetable broth
- Salt and pepper, to taste
- Fresh parsley, for garnish
- Preheat oven to 350° F.
- Place the sourdough cubes in a large bowl and set aside
- Place the chopped apples in a bowl of water with the fresh lemon juice and set aside for 15 minutes. Drain.
- Meanwhile, melt the butter in a large sauté pan over medium-high heat. Once the butter is melted, add the sausage. Using the back of a wooden spoon or spatula, break the sausage into bite size pieces. Add the onion, carrot, celery, garlic rosemary and thyme, and cook, stirring often, until the sausage is heated through, and the onion and garlic are fragrant, 6 to 8 minutes.
- Add the apples, pour in the broth, and continue to simmer until the apples are just softened, 5 to 6 minutes. Taste and adjust seasonings if necessary. Pour the sausage mixture over the sourdough cubes and toss until evenly combined. Transfer the mixture to a lightly oiled 9×13 baking pan and cook, uncovered, until the stuffing begins to bubble and the top turns golden and slightly crisp around the edges, 25 to 30 minutes. If you’d like, you can broil it on low for an additional 5 minutes for an extra crispy crust. Serve with fresh minced parsley and enjoy!