January 15, 2021
Shredded SugarBee® Apple and GF Potato Pancakes
Created by: Casey Colodny | The Mindful Hapa
Yield: 12-18 pancakes
Preparation time: 10-20 minutes, depending on equipment being used
Cook time: ~5 minutes per pancake
- 1-pound SugarBee® apples, cored, peeled and quartered (~2 large apples)
- 1-pound russet potatoes, washed (~2 med/large potatoes)
- 1 small yellow onion, peeled and halved
- 1 2” knob fresh ginger, peeled
- ½ bunch scallions, diced (~¾ cup, reserve some for garnish)
- 2 eggs
- ¾ cup gluten-free flour
- 1 tablespoon salt
- 1 teaspoon black pepper
- ½ cup sour cream
- 1 tablespoon water
- ½ teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon prepared horseradish
- If using a food processor, attach a grater attachment (the smaller, the better) and process the apples, potatoes, onion and ginger (if using). If using a box grater, use the second-largest side of the grater.
- Allow shredded apples and vegetables to drain in a colander/strainer for 5 minutes (use a towel or your hands to squeeze out any remaining liquid) before transferring to a large mixing bowl. Combine shredded vegetables with scallions, egg, flour, salt and black pepper. Mix to combine with hands or a utensil – just make sure everything is well-distributed!
- In a large skillet, heat a generous amount of a neutral oil like canola or vegetable oil until it begins to simmer over medium-high heat, or until it sizzles when you flick a couple of drops of water into the pan. Once the oil reaches this temperature, fill a ¼ cup measuring spoon with the pancake mix and carefully place in the pan – a 10” skillet should be able to fit ~3 pancakes at one time. Cook the pancakes until crispy on one side, 3-5 minutes, and flip to cook the other side until crispy, about 2-4 minutes.
- While you’re cooking the pancakes, it’s time to assemble the sour cream. Whisk together sour cream, water, salt and horseradish (if using) until any lumps are smoothed out. If the sour cream is too-thick, whisk in ½ teaspoon of water at a time until it reaches desired consistency (just be sure to taste and adjust seasoning if necessary!)
- Once pancakes have finished cooking, serve alongside sour cream and scallions for garnish.