SugarBee® Apple Cider BBQ Sauce
Created by: Meg Raines
This barbecue sauce starts with our SugarBee® cider to give it a sweet and tangy base, and has lots of different uses. Add the sauce to a pot of shredded chicken or pork for barbecue sandwiches, baste your favorite meats on the grill with it, or simply use it for a smoky-sweet dip for your fries. If more people knew how easy, and tasty, homemade barbecue sauce is, they would abandon those half-full store-bought bottles in the back of the refrigerator for good!
YIELD: about 2 cups of sauce
- 1 cup SugarBee® apple cider
- 1 (6 oz.) can tomato paste
- 1/4 cup apple cider vinegar or white vinegar
- 2- 3 tablespoons pure maple syrup (depending on desired sweetness)
- 2 tablespoons low-sodium soy sauce
- 1/2 to 1 teaspoon liquid smoke (depending on desired taste)
- 1/2 teaspoon chili powder
- 1/2 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1/4 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1/4 teaspoon powdered ginger
- Black pepper, to taste
- Cayenne pepper, to taste (optional)
- Combine all ingredients in a medium saucepan, whisk to combine.
- Bring to a boil over medium-high heat, reduce to a simmer and cook for about 10-15 minutes or until desired thickness.
- Use with your barbecued meats, or cool completely, and store in an airtight container in the refrigerator for up to a week. Sauce can also be frozen for a month.