Apple Cranberry Pastry Bites
Created for: Chelan Fresh
Author: Meg Raines
YIELD: 8 individual servings
The new SugarBee® apples are ideal for baking. They are super sweet and hold their shape well, making them the perfect compliment to our standby varieties for pies and tarts. SugarBee® apples also work exceptionally well on their own for making healthier treats with less sugar.
- 2 SugarBee® apples, peeled and diced
- 1/3 cup dried cranberries (or raisins)
- 1/4 cup sliced almonds
- 1 1/2 tablespoon brown sugar
- 4 tablespoons melted butter, divided
- Zest of 1 small lemon, plus 1 tablespoon lemon juice
- 1/2 teaspoon cinnamon
- pinch of nutmeg
- 4 sheets of phyllo dough
- 3-4 tablespoons white sugar
- powdered sugar for garnishing, optional
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees Fahrenheit.
- In a large bowl combine the apples, cranberries, almonds, brown sugar, 1 tablespoon of the melted butter, lemon juice and zest, cinnamon and nutmeg. Mix well to combine.
- Lay one sheet of phyllo dough on a clean work surface, sprinkle or brush with a little melted butter and dust lightly with white sugar, repeat with the remaining 3 phyllo dough sheets, ending with a layer of butter and sugar on top.
- Cut the phyllo dough into 16 even squares (3 cuts lengthwise and 3 cuts crosswise).
- In a muffin tin, place one square in one side of the muffin cup, leaving some dough hanging over the top, place a second square on the other side, overlapping at the bottom. Press into the cup to make space for the filling. Repeat with the remaining squares. You will end up with 8 total.
- Fill each cup evenly with the apple filling, gently fold the overlapping dough onto the filling (it will not cover it completely), brush the tops with a little more butter and a sprinkle of sugar.
- Bake for 25-35 minutes or until the phyllo dough is golden brown and crispy.
- Let cool in the pan for 5-10 minutes, gentle remove. Dust with powered sugar before serving. Serve warm or at room temperature. Phyllo dough is best the day it is baked.
NOTES: For a softer filling, try using a different variety with the SugarBee®, such as Golden Delicious.