December 31, 2019
SugarBee® Creamy Butternut Squash Soup with Pumpkin Seed Croutons
A naturally sweet, creamy, silky & comforting soup that’s dairy-free. Packed with nutrients and brimming with flavor and a gorgeous color. Swapping traditional croutons for pumpkin seeds keeps it low-carb, and adds protein.
- 1 sweet onion, diced
- 4 cups cubed butternut squash
- 4 cups vegetable broth
- 1 large Sugar Bee apple, roughly chopped (not peeled)
- 1 teaspoon kosher salt, divided
- 1/2 cup pumpkin seeds
- 1/4 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1/4 teaspoon paprika
- Heat a medium pot over medium-high heat, and spray with cooking spray, or use a tablespoon of olive oil. Add onion and sauté until it is lightly browned, about 7 minutes.
- Add broth, scraping the brown bits on the bottom of the pan as you add it. Gently add butternut squash and apple. Sprinkle in 3/4 teaspoon kosher salt. Bring soup to a boil, then reduce heat and simmer for 10 minutes, until squash is fork-tender.
- Meanwhile, heat the oven to 400º. Sprinkle pumpkin seeds on a baking sheet, spray them lightly with cooking spray, and toss with 1/4 teaspoon kosher salt, garlic powder and paprika. Bake for 5 minutes until they are lightly toasted.
- Remove soup from heat, and carefully add soup in batches to a blender (alternatively, use an immersion-blender). Blend entire soup until smooth and creamy. Then add it back to the pot or pour it to serve. Sprinkle each bowl with Pumpkin Seed “croutons”. Enjoy!